- Amodei et al, ‘Concrete Problems in AI Safety’. Life-changing. The face that launched 100 PhDs.
- Lundberg, Lee, ‘A Unified Approach to Interpreting Model Predictions’. So elegant, so useful.
- Terra Ignota. The most exciting - and daft! - science fiction I have read in a decade. The only good depiction of longtermism.
- The Elephant in the Brain.
- Lost in Math. The German title is much, much better: ‘The Ugly Universe’ or ‘The Hateful Universe’.
- The Patrick Melrose Novels.
- Step Aside, Pops!
- Dril Official “Mr Ten Years” Collection. Distillate of Twitter and Reddit and 4chan, revealing the mess inside.
- Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. I won’t say that it is to True Crime what The Wire was to cop procedural tv, but.
- Blindsight. Stunningly cynical.
- The Earthsea Quartet. Notionally for children, but rich enough for everyone else.
- Shadow of the Torturer. Read this as a teen and completely missed what’s great about it, the symbolism, the glum glimmers.
- Scott Alexander, ‘Basic Income, Not Basic Jobs: Against Hijacking Utopia’
- Scott Alexander, ‘Conflict vs Mistake’.
- Scott Alexander, ‘Review of “Twelve Rules for Life”’.
- Scott Alexander, ‘The Whole City is Center’.
- Tom Sittler, series on ‘Philosophical Success Stories’ of the last century. (which are Predicate logic, Computability, Modal logic, The formalisation of probability, Bayesianism.)
Films / TV
- The Shape of Water. A total triumph: romance without words, without physical beauty.
- Blade Runner 2049. My friend insists that this has a disgusting bioconservative / pro-life message but I disagree.
- Isle of Dogs.
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Nasty but undogmatic about it.
- L’avventura. I saw this in 2010 and was too immature to appreciate it. It is slow, slow as a motherfucker, but the performances make it sing.
- Hateful Eight. First time I’ve really laughed at a Tarantino film since Kill Bill. And he is best as a comic.
- Upgrade. An actually new kind of action choreography. Transfixing.
- Better Call Saul. Much cleverer spin-off, relying less on spectacle.
- My mate James on University Challenge.
- Adventure Time. Sniff.
I don’t really listen to albums anymore.
- I Bet my Belief
- Open Eye Signal
- francis forever
- A Star is Bored
- Hymn of the Cherubim
- Angel of the Morning
- No Need to Argue